16 April 2011

Tomato Pesto Crostata






The cornmeal in the crust makes this savory, somewhat of a pie, really special. It has a nice, crunch to it. Its a good variation of traditional crust, reminding me of that cornmeal crisp you get from the bottom of a thin pizza. 





So the crust in the recipe is a Martha, of  course, from the Pies and Tarts book, and the center is all me! I had a bunch of cherry tomatoes and couldn't find a recipe that quite fit so I just made one up! Pesto, tomatoes and cheese. Yum. You can add more cheese if you want to this recipe, more is always better. And Dubliner Cheese, similar to a sharp white cheddar, but more of a flaky texture. Its like no other cheese. Get the big block from Costco because a small one will be gone in no time. 



Don't forget to egg wash! It makes such a nice golden finish but somehow makes the crust taste amazing too. 




Not much to write today, sorry! I started a pretty much full time job at a grocery store, because I needed money to bake all this stuff! No I just need it to be an adult in general, but yes also for all the baking I do. But it is taking up so much of my time! Which is a good thing that I finally got some type of job, but now I have so much less baking time. 

Hopefully one day I'll get paid to do all this! Put my photography degree to work!



15 comments:

Katie said...

That is incredibly impressive! That'd be a great dish to whip up for a dinner party!

Ash said...

this looks amazing!

Zo @ Two Spoons said...

Droooool! Savoury crostatas seem under represented on the blogosphere.

Ruth said...

This looks amazing, as ever. Thanks for sharing. :-)

cccris said...

i will try it,it's yummy

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photography!

ovenhaven said...

Beautiful shots as always. I don't think I've ever tried a savoury crostata, but these look so juicy I'm beginning to think I'm missing out on a great deal!

Olivia said...

I bet this is delicious! Can I make it with normal size tomatoes? I will try this and get back with my impressions. :)

Jasmin Adili said...

This is very delicious! Check out my blog!

cakesensation.blogspot.com

Take care!

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour said...

Beautiful... my kind of food! Absolutely mouth watering!

Anonymous said...

this was great!!!!!!!!!!!

FoodEpix said...

This looks delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

Judith said...

Gosh. I just tried it - the Crostata was amazing! Thank you so much for this easy and perfect thing!

Tartes and Caro said...

fabulous italia in plate

Buy Diablo 3 gold said...

thanks a lot for sharing. i was looking for something like that.