25 July 2011

Sugar & Spice Layer Cake with Peaches & Cream

Donut peaches are so much cuter than normal peaches. First of all the name just makes them better. Secondly they kinda look like alien fruit, a flat fruit? its strange. Lastly, they cut into such nice small slices. Don't get me wrong, use a normal peach for this recipe and its no problem. I love them just as much as anyone else, but the weird little donut peach just have a special place in my heart.
This is one of the first cakes I have made that didn't have frosting on the sides. Figures that the minutes I buy a proper rotating cake stand, I make a cake where I don't need to use it. But this cake is perfect for summer. It is not heavy, not very sweet at all and versatile because the peaches can be swapped out for pretty much any other fruit. The 'frosting' on the cake, well if you want to call it that is such a change from what I am used to. Frosting to me is normally super sweet and thick as heck. This mascarpone/whip cream hybrid is a lovely light topping that doesn't take away the spotlight from the peaches. 
There was a bit of 'frosting' left over so I just served it with the extra peaches. And maybe just by itself... Hey, its not like I was eating a bowl full of buttercream, right? This 'frosting' is the kind where you don't feel so guilty about just eating it on it's own.
I think I use a different recipe format for everyone post lately. I just my utensil garland recipe cards for a while but I just get too bored with doing the same thing for every post. Its so much of the fun to hunt for new fonts that fit the recipe, figure out how to do the layout so that it is pretty but still easily readable and to challenge myself to come up with something new to surprise you guys. I sometimes think that I put a lot of effort into something that I don't get paid to do at all, but all your comments or nice emails make it worth it most of the time. I love to hear people's responses to what I do, because I generally get stuck in that self deprecating, I hate everything I do mode. I'm not fishing for compliments, I liked it most in school when people wouldn't say "Oh I love that" but "I think doing 'so and so' would make it so much better." 

I think this quote describes exactly my way of talking and writing: Sometimes I'll start a sentence, and I don't even know where it is going. I just hope to find it along the way. :)
Is anyone on Pinterest? I just started on the site recently and it is so addicting! There is such inspirational photos on there from design, to food, to style, quotes, everything you can think of. 
The quote ones are the best to me, it is just an incredible feeling when you see a quote that completely describes the exact emotion you have.




 recipe variation of a Martha cake

flags from Creature Comforts... I think? Will get you the link in a sec.

25 comments:

Anh said...

Absolutely stunning~

Unknown said...

Gosh, I just love all of your pictures. They are absolutely beautiful.

And as for that quote, love it and live by it. When you think about it, its actually a little depressing. But you can also look at it in a positive light as well, that you go the extra mile for others, I guess.

Anywho, beautiful cake and it sounds amazing!

shellie said...

yum your cake looks divine and perfect for a warm summer evening especially with a glass of wine you know ones of those summery french white ones....you know i bought a bag of those peaches and they were called flying saucer peaches!!!

Victoria said...

Oh, that cake looks divine... I can't wait to have an occasion to make it, it looks perfect and not too sweet. :)

And, I love Pinterest! I'm sure you will find tons of your photos pinned there. :)

Jacqueline said...

love donut peaches -- you're right, i think they are just the perfect size for baking.

Unknown said...

Please for Christ sake please help me
I need your help and support to help PAY MY Tuition Fees. I need your only 3 to 5 minutes approximately

What you have to do is
1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from AdChoices and visit there.
5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
and that's it.

NOTE: Please only visit through Google or any search engine. Only ONE click is needed.
I will be grateful to you.
May God Bless You.

Ruth said...

Your layer cakes are gorgeous! This one looks divine! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!

ronan said...

yum yum yum yum! i can't wait to try this! love the way you write :)xxx

http://ronanronanronan.blogspot.com

Shokoofeh said...

Oh this is so great, Julie!

la domestique said...

This cake is so sweet- love the mascarpone frosting! Also, it's peach week at la domestique!

Sashquatch said...

I saw my first donut peach in the petrol station the other day! I gawped at it for a long time, pretty little things :) This looks like such a supremely delicious recipe, i loveeee a spice cake! Gorgeous :)

Sophie Delphis said...

Beautiful cake!

Sally said...

Such lovely styling! Beautiful.

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

That cake looks gorgeous! And I love donut peaches, they're so cute to me :D You have such beautiful pictures!

cailen ascher said...

this cake looks amazing!!!

great blog - love your photos
cheers,
cailen
www.cailenascher.blogspot.com

Pam said...

The photos are so welcoming. This cake looks like it is inviting me over for a cup of coffee and piece of cake. I am no fan of icing, so this recipe is particularly up my alley. Thanks.

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner said...

I have never heard of a donut peach before! But that cake looks heavenly!!!

dressesshop said...

so lovely! it looks so delicious! i can't wait to have a taste

Patricia Scarpin said...

Everything you bake is absolutely amazing. So delicate, almost ethereal. Love it here!

Melissa said...

Beautiful blog! I just bought some donut peaches yesterday. Aren't they divine!

The Happ Space said...

I just drooled a little bit. I really did.

Jessica Lee Swart said...

Adore your blog and your recipes look deeeeevine.
Can't wait to try one of them out
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm on Pinterst and I'm completely obsessed with it. Best time killer ever.

I can't wait to make this cake! As usual, LOVE.

sarahdactyl said...

These photos practically moved me to tears the cake looks SO GOOD! I am the baker in my family, my sister is the photographer... both of us drool over each of those talents you have, neither of us can imagine having both!!!
I'm obsessed.

ASU said...

so nice blog. In any case I'll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon. Thanks for letting me know all of these.