11 August 2011

Chocolate Molasses Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream

So Martha calls this cake 'chocolate spice' cake but I think it should be called 'chocolate molasses' cake. There is a whole 2/3 of a cup of molasses! It tastes amazing, I love it, but it's not a spice cake. Its a molasses cake.
No process shots this time, I would say sorry, but I was just so tired, you are lucky I even made the cake! I now kinda wish I would have taken process shots once I typed that statement, but 'its ok' I have to tell myself, I make cakes ALL the time.
I have found that ramekins are the perfect size for an individual mini cake. Just bigger than a normal cupcake but that finished look of a proper cake. Do you love my new little orange Le Creuset ramekins? Upon first seeing them I thought, 'Orange??' normally not a color I would go for. But after further examination I kinda was in love with them for some reason. The orange began to remind me of an old country kitchen. Now I am completely obsessed. I wish I could go off to some rural old town and find all my old baking and kitchen utilities. I never end up liking the stuff I buy that is new, as compared to the used items. All the new things just look too perfect, but it keeps being hard to find old country kitchen items in the Bay Area.
Ok, so you all saw Hannah's Honey & Jam Terrain photo post, right? I want to go to Terrain so much more now, and I was already looking at their website daily just for inspiration, but Hannah captured it so perfectly. Her photos are like my bible. They all have this soft coffee-colored hue to them and look so lush, I want to be able to handle post-processing like she does. Bah!, give me lessons!
Recipes from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book and Chow.com

25 comments:

Maria said...

I am drooling over the salted buttercream! yum!

Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} said...

These are absolutely gorgeous. I have some ramekins I've NEVER used and I love the idea of using them for cakes!

Cali Cooking Couple said...

I love the way that you photograph your food. I just had to follow you. It looks delicious. I might lick my computer :)
Salted buttercream sounds divine.
calicookingcouple.blogspot.com

la domestique said...

I think those little chocolate molasses cakes! So pretty!

Jennifer (Delicieux) said...

My God this cake looks positively droolworthy!! I love the sound of the salted buttercream. Yum!

Absolutely stunning photos!

Sara said...

Love the idea of baking cakes in ramekins! Never thought to try that before.

Skye said...

And I thought I wasn't going to be able to use my molasses before my next overseas move... Thanks for the inspiration.

I don't ever buy them (see above for transcontinental moves) but Etsy has some amazing vintage cooking and kitchen gear for sale. If you're really keen, I'd try that.

Sashquatch said...

Good grief and when i think your photos and recipes cant get any better! :) just gorgeous, in everrryy way!

Amy said...

Just gorgeous! These cakes look delicious and I love the mini cake in the ramekins. I have been using an individual cheesecakes pan that someone bought me. The size is just perfect for a little treat :)

A Plum By Any Other Name said...

Oh wow. You went straight to my heart with molasses. Love the stuff. Can never get enough. Those little treats are so delicate (but I know that spice is giving them some backbone). Brilliant work!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am a new follower of your beautiful blog! I have a question about this recipe. How did you make the smaller cakes layered while still baking them in ramekins? Thanks! :)

Iz Originals said...

Hey - love the idea of using ramekins for cake! Great for dinner parties! Do you need to adjust baking time/temp at all for it? I would think you would....would love details.
izoriginals.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

oh man those look so good. I think orange is an excellent choice of color. It goes great with chocolaty things. I also love the shape of those cakes!

pips said...

omg, it must be amazing! lovely presentation <3

Rachel at Eat and Write said...

Gosh -- these look beautiful and amazing. Definitely adding them to my recipe box. And your photography is always so spot on!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of using the ramekins and making mini cakes. How many ramekins did you need to use for that recipe or did you scale down the recipe?

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

LOVE your new ramekins and these gorgeous cakes!

Anonymous said...

Love your photography and recipes. This sounds delicious.

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen said...

Looks absolutely beautiful. I'll call it molasses cake too! Got to make it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

That butter cream is nearly as amazing as your photos. This is my firs tvisit here but I'm going to make it a point to return. I like what you do here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Carrie Melissa said...

Holy. Mother. Martha. That looks so unbelievably good. I love molasses AND brown sugar?? I'm in heaven. This is on the must-make list. Thanks for posting.

Unknown said...

SO amazingly gorgeous! I think you chose the right name 'chocolate molasses cake.' If the shoe fits...

Unknown said...

I made this last night, and omg.... it was so good, and such a hit at the wedding shower i took it to. It was pretty simple to make as well. Thank you!

deb davis said...

Beautiful! I loveeverythingabout this cake and your site. Thank You

Anonymous said...

What is the filling and outer frosting that is white?