01 November 2011

Brown Butter Ice Cream

Hi.
One last post before I leave for Michigan in a few hours. 
This was my first time making ice cream and though it seemed to set up more like a soft serve than a hard ice cream, it was amazing. The flavor was one of the best ice creams I have had. It is buttery and nutty. Like nothing else I have ever tried before. I wish I would have made gallons of it to keep in the freezer at all times.

I also made two sauces and one topping to go on it, but it is completely great by itself. The brown butter ice cream has a hint of a molasses or brown sugar flavor but on a whole nother level. I say this because whenever I make brown butter anything my Mom always calls it 'Oh, that brown sugar thing' 'No!! brown butter!!' I always respond.

I used to love everything salted caramel. Sauces, candies, ice creams, you name it. But now I think I am getting to used to it and need a change. The Salty Hot Fudge Sauce is a great departure. Chocolate and salt goes together just as great. It reminds me of getting the salted dark chocolate fudge in Monterey.

Almond Crumble, almost like a granola or streusel topping. It is sweet but not overly so, so it gives a nice texture to the ice cream without making it a sugar overload.


Ok, off to go finish packing, charge up the ipod, camera, phone [even though the phone is quite unnecessary, I'm told that there is not much reception at the lake...] and then to say bye to the boyfriend. 

Hope everyone has a good first two weeks of November. I'll be back to posting after the 13th!
Ice cream recipe from Heather Christo Cooks
Fudge Sauce recipe from Smitten Kitten
Topping recipe from Food Nouveau
Maple Caramel recipe from Deliciously Organic

32 comments:

athena said...

Man, wish I had an ice cream maker. I can just taste all of the toppings and ice cream from your descriptions. Have a great trip, Julie!

Unknown said...

Oh moms, they just never get it right. I'd love to try some homemade ice cream. Have fun at the lake!

Sue/the view from great island said...

I shouldn't have read this post before dinner, now I won't be happy till I've tried some of this. Maybe just the fudge sauce? I think I can see the little brown specks in the ice cream---cool! I think it would be a great flavor to serve with Thanksgiving pies.
Have fun in Michigan.

Brigette Olmos-Arreola said...

this sounds like absolute heaven!

Jennifer (Delicieux) said...

Wow, this looks fabulous and the salty hot fudge sauce sounds amazing!!! I want a huge bowl of this right now.

Have a great time at the lake!

Steph (desserts for breakfast) said...

mmmm.... you had me at "salty hot fudge sauce".

Anonymous said...

Brown butter ice cream.... mmm. Just about the only thing I think that sounds better is if pecans were swirled in, but it looks like you've got that covered with an almond crumble. This looks perfect!

Rikki said...

Mmmm! i HAVE to try this!! It looks heavenly.

Natashia said...

I plan on getting an ice-cream maker this coming holidays, so this is going onto my "must make" list!

Ashley said...

dang.. that looks soooo good!! I think i'm going to put an ice creamer maker on my Christmas list this year. Seems like it would be a fun and good investment. =)

Anh said...

beautiful! I would want to steal that sauceeee!

Rachel @ Bakerita said...

Brown butter just might be my favorite thing in the whole world.
I'm sooo making this when I'm back at home and have my ice cream maker. Oh, boy.

Kocinera said...

Wow! I'm a huge brown butter fan, so this ice cream sounds amazing. Not to mention all the yummy toppings you made to go with it. Delicious!

Sneh | Cook Republic said...

ooooh *swoons* I love the sound of this and with the ice cream kick I am on, making this pronto!

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

Wonderful! I've thought about making something similar, good to know that it is awesomely delicious!

Reem | Simply Reem said...

Heavens!!!!!!
I am in heaven only looking at it, what will happen when I"ll actually eat...

Amber, RD said...

Sounds great! I love the topping ideas!

TheChouxGirl said...

I love the flavor of brown butter...can't wait to try

celia said...

this post is so delicious looking! i really love the jars you used to hold the fudge and caramel sauce in, they are so sweet!

Patti Sandham said...

What a feast for the eyes and my mouth is watering over all the delicious looking food on your blog! I will definitely return for more inspiration.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Forget the ice cream (well no, not really), I want some of that maple caramel sauce!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Anything that looks this good simply has to be sinful :-). This is my first visit to your blog and I picked a great day to get to know your work. I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts and can tell you that I really love the food and recipes you share with your readers. I'll definitely be back. Have a great trip. Blessings...Mary

I'm Hannah said...

I can't wait to try this!!

Have you ever made ice cream in an old metal coffee can? I did that in middle school and since I don't have an ice cream maker, I wonder if that would work for this recipe!?

Julie Marie said...

I'm Hannah: I'm not sure, I've never made ice cream that way. Go google ot and let me know :)

Unknown said...

yummy!

sarah said...

That looks amazing.

gfs said...

oh good god this sounds AMAZING! I can't wait to get my ice cream maker back - delicious first go!

skippysays said...

That ice cream sounds like heaven! I've never tried making ice cream before though, so I'm a bit hesitant...
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

FRU FANTASTISK said...

I really have to try this, it looks delicious!

Lisa said...

The ice cream looks delish but I'm dying over that extra long skinny loaf pan. May I ask where you got it? My sister-in-law has one like it that he mother bought her but I guess she searched for a long time before finding one.

Julie Marie said...

Lisa: thanks! I actually found it at a thrift store, that's where I get a lot of props

Cheap Diablo 3 gold said...

Once more fantastic article. Material have a very good understanding of these kinds of themes.While i going into your blog,We felt this kind of . Come on and writting your blog post may well be more interesting. For a Achievement!