17 December 2013

{fresh} cranberry scones

Untitled


It was my day off yesterday. I woke up to a chilly apartment, I had left the window open all night, and decided to make some scones. I had been thinking the day before about something to make, something in which I wouldn't have to go to the store for ingredients. I have had these cranberries in my freezer for what seems like forever, and with no eggs but a ton of butter, scones seemed like the best option. And after seeing Kamran's lastest post, I have been craving scones like you couldn't believe. So warm cranberry scones, black coffee and a few chapters of Hemingway was my morning. 

The scones came out buttery, flaky with juicy cranberries just popping with flavor. Indeed a success. Perfect for morning, tea or just a simple afternoon snack. 

The prior weekend I went to the Carmel/Monterey area, and this coming weekend I'm going to San Francisco with my Dad. To see a Christmas Carol, a tradition for us, and to wander around sight seeing. I love seeing a Christmas Carol, it is the same every year. Perfectly the same. Always a brilliant showing and I can't wait to see it again. It used to be the whole family but year after year they all got tired of it, so now my Dad agrees to take me because I love it so much. Tis the season.


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


{fresh} cranberry scones
based on a Bon Appetit recipe

3 cups (375g) AP flour
3/4 cup (150g) sugar, extra for sprinkling
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup (170g) butter, cold and cubed
1 cup (120g) fresh cranberries, frozen
1 cup (8oz) cold buttermilk, extra for brushing
1 tsp vanilla bean paste

Oven 425F.
Whisk all dry ingredients together. Add in butter and cut in until small, pea sized cubes. Stir in frozen cranberries. Mix vanilla and buttermilk together in a separate bowl. Stir into dry mix until just incorporated. Do not overmix. 
On a lightly floured surface, gently roll out dough to 3/4 inch thick. Cut into rounds, about 3 inches in diameter, or whatever desired size. 
Brush tops of scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar. Place on baking sheet, leaving space between them. Bake for 18 minutes until sides are golden and center is set. Let cool slightly and serve with butter.



Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled

9 comments:

Meghan said...

I could think of no better way to spend a winter's day off than in the company of a good read, some coffee, and these scones. Your little rabbit plates are absolutely darling, as well.

thecitygourmand said...

A lovely festive version to a classic. Happy holidays!

Kezia said...

I love cranberry scones! A morning filled with good coffee, a good book and some scone sounds like something I should try - soon. Enjoy a Christmas Carol with your Dad!

Pauli said...

I love those photos! Fantastic styling:)

Salma said...

wonderful... i love the light and the colors... everything :)

and thanks for the recipe, i usually only find recipes with dried cranberries, but fresh ones look so much prettier ;-)

have a nice day!
salma

laurasmess said...

Julie Marie, you have the most beautiful blog. Your photographs and words leave me feeling peaceful, nourished and warm, without even eating a smidgeon. I can tell that I'm going to spend a lot of time here... thanks for this beautiful scone recipe. We can't really get fresh cranberries in Australia but I may substitute with raspberries and eat them adorned with butter. Thank you and happy new year for tomorrow. May it be an even better year for you! Laura xo

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today said...

Scones is something I have a problem with. A small one. I want to make it, I do make it, I love it, but it hardly ever turnes out well. Will try this option soon :)

Unknown said...

Hello I just have discovered your blog! Just awsome pictures and looks delicious!
I may need some advice because from Paris some ingredients may not be easy to found here...
Have a nice week!

Adam Durand said...

beautiful words and food! hope your new year is off to a good start