06 July 2012

rosemary loaf cake

rlcPOST_2.1




A nice simple pound cake, with a addition of fresh herbs. And it was delightful! I had originally seen this recipe in a copy of Martha Stewart Living. It was an article that featured the photography of Katie Quinn Davies. Of course, I was in love with every photo. As I always am with her work. She does something magical with her shots that I can never in my wildest dreams figure out what exactly it is. Some type of post processing? The best natural light? Wide aperture? Shallow aperture? I don't know. But they are all brilliant.

Anyways, this loaf cake was featured in the spread and it was something I hadn't seen. I have used thyme, lemon verbena, basil in desserts but never rosemary. I always thought it went better with potatoes than cake. 

Then in on of my last CSA boxes, there was a big bundle of rosemary. I thought of this cake instantly. It had to be made. It is not very sweet, not too thick or buttery, and the rosemary permeates through the whole cake.







rlcPOST_6




Did everyone have an exciting 4th of July? Hopefully :)
Mine turned out to be unexpected. In a good way. 
The first 8 hours of my day were spent baking away at work. Making pies with star shaped dough pieces on top. Berry galletes, many cookies and then prepping many other things for the next day.

I thought the rest of my day would be spent at home, just not doing much because I had work the next day. But then my phone rang and an old, friend, who I recently reconnected with invited me over to hang out. So the night was then spent watching episodes of each of the shows we currently liked. Breaking bad for him and Men at Work for me. Then trying to see some fireworks from the deck, unsuccessful. Only the tops could be seen from over all the trees. Then just catching up. Nice, quiet night but was great because it was with someone, up until a few ago, I thought I would never speak to again.





rlcPOST_12





Holy crap is it hot out. Not the highest temps it could be but there is no breeze so it's muggy as F in my house. Must jump into a cold shower before I pass out.





rlcPOST_7










rlcPOST_10






Rosemary Loaf Cake
via Martha Stewart

344 g all purpose flour
125 g cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
226 g butter, soft
506 g caster sugar
45 g rosemary, fresh and finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs +1 egg white
236 ml whole milk

*will yield 2 loaves

Oven 350F. Butter and flour two 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 loaf pans.

Sift both flours, baking powder and salt together into a bowl. Set aside.
Combine butter, sugar, rosemary and vanilla in the bowl of a mixer. Beat until very light and fluffy, 5 minutes. 
Add in the eggs and white one at a time. 
Mix in half the flour mix, then half the milk. Add in the remaining flour then the final milk. Mix only until combined.
Divide evenly into prepared pans.
Bake for 40-50 minutes until center is completely set.

Icing
62 g powdered sugar
1 vanilla bean, pods scrapped
milk

Mix together, adding just a dash of milk at a time until you get a think but pour-able consistency. Pour over the completely cooled cakes.






rlcPOST_9










rlcPOST_14 copy










rlcPOST_13

Happy Weekend Everyone!

Oh and I'm pretty sure I have figured out the issue with pinning images from here so let me know it anyone keeps having issues. 

24 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

ooh, i really need to try this!
I have so much rosemary at the moment with all this heat it is sprouting like crazy!
Great images!!

xx
callie

dervla @ The Curator said...

beautiful photos and this recipe looks great too!

Robyn said...

look great-will bookmark this one!

Angela @ the fairy bread chronicles said...

your photos remind me of katie quinn davies' - they too are just stunning!

i love rosemary, so i'll definitely be baking this!

Emily said...

This looks amazing!

Emma said...

Really lovely and interesting flavours using Rosemary.

Amelia @ Sisters In The Kitchen said...

Looks great!

gfs said...

Your photographs are just stunning, everytime I visit I'm want to eat what you've posted. A bit like Katie's blog too, she is an amazing photographer. Meanwhilst onto this pound cake, it sounds deeeevine, I can't wait to try it. Happy 4th.

Pru @ Perfecting Pru said...

Every time I stop by, I am blown away by your beautiful styling and the food. I'll be dreaming of rosemary cake all afternoon now.

Red Star to Lone Star said...

I love how light and airy your photos are.

Cathy said...

Your photos are always my absolute favorite when it comes to food shots :)

Cathy Trails

Russell at Chasing Delicious said...

This loaf sounds scrumptious! And I love the styling with the glaze and that sprig of rosemary laid on top. Lovely.

HealthnutFoodie said...

What a great use of rosemary!!! I've started drying mine for winter because our plant is out of control. This cake looks like a great fresh option! Beautiful photos too!

ts said...

Great. Instead of using matcha, we can use rosemary or dried parsley.

Jenny @ BAKE said...

I love the use of herbs instead of excess sugar! this cake looks delightful!

thyme (Sarah) said...

I think your photos are beautiful! So fresh and clean. Just the name of your cake sounds pretty...rosemary loaf cake. We had a quiet 4th as well...usually its chaotic but this year it was a welcome relief.

Anonymous said...

That looks so tasty. I love your crockery too!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

This cake looks so lovely and delicious. I make rosemary shortbread cookies every Christmas and they are always a hit. I'm sure we would love this cake, too. I really enjoy herbs in baked treats.

Linda said...

This cake looks so damn cute. I love how the little sprig of rosemary sits atop the frosting in such a festive manner. :)

And I've also wondered how Katie does it! I love her photography as well.

Shara said...

I love rosemary cake. Nigella has a recipe in her book How to be a domestic goddess. I crave it everytime I swish past my rosemary bush releasing its delicious aroma.

Cheapest Diablo 3 gold said...

it is really my hornor to have a view at your blog,it is really good.

Unknown said...

Hello,I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. best style fashion

Toronto Wedding Photographers said...

Made this recipe today - a double batch because I knew you wouldn't fail me! It was delicious. In addition to your beautiful and tasty recipes, thank you for the thought you put into each post; I always learn something.

Mariel Torres said...

Darling, you truly make the most delicious things and take the most gorgeous pictures. Following you!