01 April 2011

Meyer Lemon Cake









Mmm lemon cake. I made this a few days ago and I really want to make another. It is so moist, and normally I can't really understand cakes without frosting but this frosting-less one is good. Perfect for dessert or brunch even, because it is not too sweet.
And yes, another lemon recipe, with probably a lot more to come. I love them and also love that I have many at my house, so it's always easier and cheaper to use what's in the cupboard. Oh well, I would apologize the for repetitive of my main ingredients but not today! It's a cake, it's lemony, and it's a dream. So never be sorry for that.



The photo above is my favorite!



Oh the dreaded sour cream in recipes.... Hey, I've become much more fond of it in recipes because you can't taste it! It just makes it very moist. I know lots of you would be like 'Of course you can't taste it' but when I see it in a recipe at first, I do not have a good reaction. So from now one, bring on the sour cream recipes. As long I don't have to dollop it on top and tasty the strange white stuff, I'm all for it.


Recipe from here

23 comments:

Ruth said...

This looks wonderful! A keeper!

MK said...

This looks delicious and my family loves lemony things, and I'll be going to vist them soon, so thanks for the timely treats. I know I should already know the difference.......... but why do we use CAKE flour? Is it just more fine? because then I could just sift it. I always hate to buy another kind of flour- like self-rising- when I have the tools to do it myself

Bianca said...

Meyer lemons are so vogue right now; I need to get my hands on them and make some cake already!

Julie Marie said...

MK:
i know, an additional special ingredient. I normally go, screw it and just use all purpose. But now I just keep cake flour on hand. There really is a difference though.
here is something I found on it:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/flour.html

Katie said...

Yum! I wonder if plain yogurt could be substituted for the sour cream?

Julie Marie said...

Katie: Yup, that is a fine substitute

Diana said...

I'm drooling at my keyboard. I guess I'll just have to get my hands on some meyer lemons!

Peggy said...

I love meyer lemons so I know this recipe is absolutely fantastic! Love the gorgeous photos as well!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Just discovered your blog. Nice, I like it! I haven't found any Meyer Lemons at my market. This looks so yummy.

madhu said...

I like "not too sweet" cakes!!

a frog in the cottage said...

it looks so moist it's irresistible !! by the way, your favorite photo is mine too

Madeline Tiani said...

saw this on tastespotting. it looks AMAZING, your photos are also lovely. i might make this for easter.

Unknown said...

beautiful photos

Anonymous said...

love your blog....everything looks so beautiful.....but on most of your cakes you do not give what size pan to use.....it does make a difference....might you in the future state what size you used......thanks

Anonymous said...

I made this the other day and it was flavorful and moist, but the cake collapsed during baking (I did not open the oven door while it was baking.) I had misgivings when I saw the amount of fat in the recipe: 1 1/2 c. butter and 2/3 c. sour cream. I wondered if too large a proportion of fat to flour had something to do with why it collapsed. Advice welcome.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Just by way of comparison, the amount of fat called for in Saveur magazine's online "Best Damn Meyer Cake" recipe is 9 tbsp. butter, total.

Anonymous said...

Oops--I meant "Best Damn Meyer Lemon Cake." ;-)

Merry said...

replica breitlingben ten games
This looks wonderful! A keeper! Thanks !

Anonymous said...

Will this work as a cupcake with frosting, or will it come out too flat?

cindy said...

Wow very good photo, tas branded the cake looks very good

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanted to let you know I made this cake last night, with perfect success. Thanks for your blog - it really inspires me! Carla x

lightinthebox scam said...

looks very delicious.

Unknown said...

What size springform pan? Since I have an abundance of Meyer lemons on my trees, this would be great!